Topics

Get on the Air to Care #gota2c

On 17 April 2020, the Radio Society of Great Britain, working in partnership with the NHS, launched a new campaign called "Get on the air to care" to support the emotional health and wellbeing of 75,000 licensed UK radio amateurs – just some of the 3,000,000 worldwide.

Paul Devlin, NHS England Emergency Care Improvement Support Team and RSGB District Representative, says: "Now, more than ever, we need to optimise all modes of communication to help reduce loneliness and isolation within communities. Amateur radio provides a wonderful, unprecedented opportunity to help make this a reality".

World Amateur Radio Day on Saturday 18 April 2020 celebrates this innovative, global community. Whilst amateur radio evolves continually to include technologies which are at the forefront of modern radio communications, radio amateurs can "Get on the air to care" with a simple handheld device.

Steve Thomas, M1ACB, General Manager of the RSGB explains: "Please help to increase amateur radio activity through club and repeater group nets, chatting with your friends or just by calling CQ. If you’d like to show your support for the NHS at the same time, Ofcom is happy for radio amateurs to add '/NHS' to the end of their call signs."

Our new "Get on the air to care" web page includes our launch video so go to www.rsgb.org/gota2c and take a look.

As you get involved in "Get on the air to care" by being more active on the radio, please share your photos, video clips and news with the RSGB via comms@... and also on social media using the hashtag #GOTA2C

GB1NHS, the UK's National Health Service radio communications station will be on the air as part of this campaign so listen out for it!

As you would expect, the RSGB is sharing details of this with the national and local media as well as the amateur radio media in the UK and across the world.

HQ hopes that you are excited by this special campaign and that not only will you get involved in the campaign yourselves, but that you will encourage your clubs and groups to get involved too.

Steve Thomas and Paul Devlin were interviewed on the morning of 17/04/2020 on BBC Three Counties radio – you can listen online now, their interview starts at 1:23:48 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p088bpbc

73

District Rep 113
Email DR113

Radio Society of Great Britain

3 Abbey Court
Fraser Road
Priory Business Park
Bedford MK44 3WH

www.rsgb.org.uk

You'll have seen emails and other social media posts asking you to support the "Get on the air to care" campaign by sending the RSGB your photos, video clips and reports of how you’re supporting #GOTA2C. The intention has always been to use them on the website and in a special RadCom feature this month.

However, Elaine (RadCom Editor) in conjunction with the RSGB would like to use a different montage on the front cover to emphasise the fact that radio amateurs are rising above the challenges of the current pandemic and using the pastime they love to help them through. So... Elaine needs a lot more photos!

Please can you take a photo of yourself in your shack/on the radio and send it to radcom<AT>rsgb.org.uk replacing "<AT>" with "@" by this Thursday morning (30/04/2020). Short notice I know, but hopefully you won't have too many other things to distract you at the moment :-). If there are too many for the front cover then Elaine will use them throughout the magazine.

With thanks in advance for your help.

73

District Rep 113
Email DR113

Radio Society of Great Britain

3 Abbey Court
Fraser Road
Priory Business Park
Bedford MK44 3WH

www.rsgb.org.uk

The RSGB/NHS "Get on the Air to Care" #gota2c Campaign has received press and media coverage, South Bristol has been doing a little to help promote this.

Following the announcement of the initiative SBARC have:

  1. Posted details of the #gota2c initiative here on the Club's private members only Groups.io mailing list and e-mailed details to those within the Club who do not participate in this system
  2. Created a News Post detailing and explaining the #gota2c initiative on the Club website which was posted through:
  3. Some club members have sent photos of themselves in their shacks, their shacks or the projects they are working on to Elaine Richards the RadCom Managing Editor in response to a request for images so that a montage of activity could be included on the cover of RadCom and within if there is sufficient material
  4. TWEETED through the Clubs TWITTER Channel the RSGB request for photographs that was "LIKED" by the RSGB themselves and retweeted by some Club members and followers on the Clubs TWITTER channel
  5. Started a Thursday evening "net" on GB3WR commencing at 19:30 local time each week, which is being masterfully managed by our "net controller" Paul G4PDC
  6. Thanks to Steve G0UQT, we have altered our AutoTWEET announcements to announce the Club net on our TWITTER channel in place of our usual calendar announcements
  7. Created a "Thank You NHS"/"Get on the Air to Care" banner and placed on the Club homepage (www.sbarc.co.uk)
  8. Made this graphic available for download and reuse in SVG, HTML and PNG format via the Clubs DropBox Public Downloads Folder (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i8jdu3xmmcagcir/AAAUHj3GC4qtxYfb693ui2G5a?dl=0)
  10. The current Foundation Course, which had completed 4 out of the 8 topics before the current restrictions on movement and social gatherings were imposed, has moved on-line to a virtual classroom every Thursday at 20:00 using the JITSI-MEET platform, thanks to Dave G0DPW for helping get everyone set up to use the system which employs either a browser or an Android/iOS app
  11. Prepared this update as another News post on the Club website and announced it through the same social media channels as the original announcement: TWITTER, FACBOOK, LinkedIn

National press and media coverage has been secured by Heather Parsons the RSGB Communications Manager and you make like to review:

  1. Steve Thomas and Paul Devlin were interviewed on the morning of 17/04/2020 on BBC Three Counties radio – you can listen online now, their interview starts at 1:23:48 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p088bpbc
  2. On 5 May the BBC posted a front page news story on their website about the #gota2c campaign the preparation of which took about a week of work between the journalist and Heather and even though the final published piece was shorter than originally hoped it was important publicity for the hobby. You can read the full storey here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52442553
  3. The BBC Midlands Region did a TV piece following the previous story line, it can be found on iPlayer (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hzdv/midlands-today-evening-news-05052020). According to Heather they cut the recorded piece that Jim did by over half but his enthusiasm for amateur radio still shines through and he mentions both the RSGB and the RI exams
  4. The RSGB had some great coverage of 'Get on the air to care' and amateur radio generally in the media. The BBC online news feature was also picked up by other media outlets across the world, has caused some radio amateurs to get in touch with the RSGB to renew their licences and has generated lots of chat and interest. You'll find a round-up of (most) of the media coverage on the RSGB special webpage: www.rsgb.org/gota2c-media. There's still a few pieces to add but they will be added soon
  5. The campaign, amateur radio, GB1NHS and the RSGB were mentioned on the British Forces Broadcasting Service breakfast show on 7 May 2020 in an interview with Paul Devlin, G1SMP – NHS England Emergency Care Improvement Support Team and also RSGB District Representative. BFBS radio broadcasts nationally across the UK and in 20 countries, 10 of which have permanent radio stations. They operate wherever British Forces are deployed. The show's presenter also hosts an international radio show for BFBS with the BBC on Saturdays and will play the interview on there probably on 9 May 2020. Another excellent audience to reach. This will be announced on the RSGB website and on social media later and will be included on the RSGB GOTA2C media page
  6. RSGB Board Director, Stewart Bryant has recorded a short video explaining how the RSGB Operating Team is supporting GOTA2C. This will go live 8 May 2020 to link in with VE Day and the VE/VJ day radio marathon so look out for that on the RSGB YouTube channel, website and across social media

73

District Rep 113
Email DR113

Radio Society of Great Britain

3 Abbey Court
Fraser Road
Priory Business Park
Bedford MK44 3WH

www.rsgb.org.uk

Reposted from the Region 11 Mailing List. If you are in the South West of England, or anywhere else for that matter but specifically the South West of England, (defined as Cornwall, Scilly Isles, Channel Islands, Devon including Plymouth and Torbay, Somerset, Dorset including Poole and Bournemouth or Avon (as was)) please apply for membership of this Group.

Video

Heather Parsons the RSGB COmmunications Manager has just shared a video clip the RSGB were given on 12 May 2020 by the NHS as part of the 'Get on the Air to Care' campaign. It features Nicki Pointer who is a Queen's Award winner, the Crowborough Community First Responders' Team Leader as well as a Ward Manager/Senior Sister at Tunbridge Wells Hospital. Nicki talks about visiting the NRC, our #GOTA2C campaign and, importantly for the 12 May, International Nurses Day (IND) which is observed around the world on 12 May each year to mark the contributions that nurses make to society. This year's IND commemorates the 200th anniversary of Florence Nightingale's birth. Heather was asked by the NHS to share it immediately so she wasn't able to give advance notice and I only discovered her e-mail this morning (13/05/2020) hence the posting delay. However, you can follow these links to see it (even if you don’t have a FACEBOOK account) and it will be the RSGB website and YouTube Channel in due course:

Radio

As a follow-up to the BBC news online feature last week, BBC Radio Manchester also mentioned amateur radio at the weekend on the breakfast show with Eamonn O’Neal. The piece featured a chat with a member of the Stockport ARS who talked generally about amateur radio, how the hobby is seeing a resurgence at the moment, our Remote Invigilation (RI) exams and how amateur radio is helping wellbeing at this time: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08bs0ry. The full interview starts at 1:08:25 and lasts about ten minutes. The RSGB didn't facilitate this interview but are pleased that the BBC continues to see amateur radio as a topic worth air time!

Your support

Both of these will be out on social media and on the RSGB website and the video will ultimately go on YouTube as well – if you have a TWITTER or FACEBOOK account, please do like/share these and all of the great examples of what the Society is doing as part of 'Get on the Air to Care' and use the hashtag #GOTA2C. There is great interest in the hobby as you will know, both with people wanting to join and rejoin the amateur radio community, as well as a lot of external media interest. We have large numbers of volunteers who are active on social media and if every one of those shared/liked/retweeted our posts and tweets, the awareness of amateur radio would naturally be even greater!

Andy G7KNA

73

District Rep 113
Email DR113

Radio Society of Great Britain

3 Abbey Court
Fraser Road
Priory Business Park
Bedford MK44 3WH

www.rsgb.org.uk

Reposted from the Region 11 Mailing List. If you are in the South West of England, or anywhere else for that matter but specifically the South West of England, (defined as Cornwall, Scilly Isles, Channel Islands, Devon including Plymouth and Torbay, Somerset, Dorset including Poole and Bournemouth or Avon (as was)) please apply for membership of this Group.

Heather Parsons, the RSGBs Communications Manager, reports that the BBC continues to cover our national 'Get on the Air to Care' campaign with the NHS and the increasing interest in amateur radio.

On Tuesday 12 May 2020, Anita Richards from Whythall Radio Club had a chat with Daz Hale on the BBC Radio WM Breakfast Show: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08bsp7r. The chat starts at 1:55:42 and Heather will be sharing it more widely shortly.

Thanks to Whythall Radio Club which also has details of the GOTA2C campaign on the homepage of its website, including our remote invigilation exams, as well as a link to the BBC online feature that we worked to create with the BBC journalist – great support!

Andy G7KNA

73

District Rep 113
Email DR113

Radio Society of Great Britain

3 Abbey Court
Fraser Road
Priory Business Park
Bedford MK44 3WH

www.rsgb.org.uk

I did a bit of digging around the BBC Sounds website and got the details of the Amateur Radio interview on BBC Somerset on 31 May 2020.

Our own Dean Brice G0UIL (RSGB Regional Rep for Region 11), who is based in Taunton the home of BBC Radio Somerset, was interviewed by Mel Everett on the afternoon programme. The interview can be found at the URL below from 1:37:40 - 1:46:40 sandwiched between 'Chain Reaction' by Diana Ross and 'You're my first, the last, my everything' by Barry White, so in good company!

Take a listen at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08dp5hg.

73
Hon Sec
for and on behalf of South Bristol ARC